Friday, March 1, 2013

One Little Word - February Review

Our February assignment for One Little Word 2013 was to create a vision board.   The vision board is (in Ali Edwards' words) -"a collection of images and words of what you'd like to invite into your life".   We were encouraged to think about our "One Little Word" for 2013 ~ mine is JOY ~ and what a Vision Board might look like with that word in mind.  

While a bit unsure and hesitant, I proceeded in faith and LOVED the process! I began by finding magazines around the house and clipping words and images that resonated with me (then I had to whittle down the huge stack to something that I could work with - I think I went "clip crazy")  


Using a 16x20 canvas and a Sharpie, I wrote words of affirmation, my many roles in life, the traits that describe me as well as those traits I am working towards.  While not part of the assignment itself - I truly felt that these words should be the foundation of my Vision Board as they are the foundation of who I am. 



Then the real fun began!  I adhered the images randomly on the canvas using mod-podge, followed by the words I clipped.  I "washed" the canvas with a watered down teal paint over the entire surface and gently wiped it back ~ and painted some gesso along the edges to help define the border.  And what would a project be without a few  flowers, buttons and a little bling.






I really like the way this turned out and I have it proudly displayed in my studio.  Every time I walk by, I am inspired and uplifted by the positive words and images on my vision board. 

Now the magazine paper was pretty thin and it has been quite some time since I have used mod-podge. I ended up with a fair amount of wrinkles on my canvas.  Really? But then another One Little Word friend - "SunsetWatcher"  - shared the following.   

"The way wrinkles showcase the laughter, tears, hope, delight and other emotional steps mapped on the faces of people I love are some of my favorite features as I observe them telling their stories.  Each face is beautifully unique and with every inch of my heart I am captivated by their storytelling when their words and wrinkles collaborate to emphasize the depth of emotion."

Wow - these words really spoke to me. And since I celebrated my 29th birthday last year (again), I have noticed that a few wrinkles are beginning to define my personal canvas.  So, I think that perhaps the wrinkles on my Vision Board were not a mistake after all.  My Vision Board is perfectly imperfect, just like me - and I like that! 

Did I find JOY in February?  You bet!  I kept finding the word JOY in scripture, quotes and text - and each time I would smile at the message in the text.  I found JOY in spending time with my husband and family, hiking in the great outdoors, coffee with friends, and so much more.    

I'm excited to move forward with my March assignment and will share that with you at the end of the month.  


Finding Joy!  Life is Good!

No comments: